Wednesday, January 19, 2011

ice!

Today is sooo icy outside, I felt like this on my drive to school:

I think I am definitely affected by SAD (seasonal affective disorder) syndrome. It can have fairly serious effects, including depression, sleep problems, lethargy, over eating, loss of concentration, social problems, anxiety, loss of libido and mood changes. Pretty depressing. I think that's why around February everyone gets anxious for winter to end and spring to begin. Some tips I find helpful for fighting off SAD is to stay active throughout the winter, and embrace winter as a season of celebration! Spending time with friends more often, especially in the evenings when it gets dark so early can keep some of these symptoms at bay!

I love to cook/eat, so getting together with friends for good: food, drinks and conversation is always fabulous. The following is a picture of one of these days, gingerbread house building!


I also like to start planning for outdoor activities to come in the spring. Even though it's cold, it's still refreshing to be outside on nice days. Below is a picture of my sister on the beach on a cold but sunny October day. I am also planning on tackling the 5km Around the Bay race this spring, so that is motivating me throughout the winter as well as giving me something to look forward to.


Lastly, it's always nice to daydream about the hot hot heat of the summer. Last summer I was lucky enough to take a trip to Cuba with 2 of my best friends. Here is a picture of us feeling the ocean water when we first arrived ~ definitely one of my "feel-good" pictures.


No comments:

Post a Comment